What I want to be when I grow up...




I always intended on going to college right after high school, but life happened. I moved to Va. Beach to live with Prince Charming while he finished up his last year in the Navy. Then we moved home and I started the business of being an adult. Job, apartment, car and figuring out how to apply for financial aid and get to college.

My plans were sidetracked with the news of Alex's pending arrival. I knew that I wouldn't be able to handle being a mom and a college student for a while, so college was put aside. I planned on starting school when Alex was 3 and old enough for the college's on site daycare. Then I would be able to go to school full time, see him in between classes and not feel like I was ignoring him or my responsibilities as a mom.

Shortly after he turned 3 I began applying for financial aid for the fall semester. Then I found out about Liberty's pending arrival. Once again the decision was made to wait until Alex was in school and Liberty was old enough for the college daycare.

Well, the best laid plans...have nothing on Mother Nature's plans. Shortly after Liberty's 3rd birthday, yes, I found out about Bean's pending arrival.

This time instead of waiting until Bean is 3 (or tempting Mother Nature to mess with my Birth Control) I decided to start online classes this January. I am so excited to finally begin working toward my career goals, but at the same time, that is the exact problem. I haven't been able to decide just what it is that I want to be when I grow up.

My top two choices over the past 5 years have been a teacher or a nurse. I knew that is where my biggest passions and talent potentials were. But making a choice between them was very hard. On the financial side of things, being a nurse was more beneficial. When it came to fitting into my lifestyle with 3 kids, school breaks, holidays and other things I wanted in life becoming a teacher made the most sense. And my desire for both careers was huge and I wasn't able to choose between them. Both of them gave me a chance to make a difference in someone's life. To touch a person's heart and make them, and myself, better for doing it.

I ran across this video a few days ago and by the time I had finished it I knew where my heart really was.



I have watched it over and over. And every single time it makes me get teary eyed and covered in goose bumps. THAT is what I want in my life. Even though I know that teaching can be a thankless, underpaid, exhausting and overwhelming job, I also know that it can be richly rewarding and satisfying.

To all those teachers out there who helped me through, made me go beyond where I thought I could, and helped make me who I am today.....Thank You!



15 comments:

Roz said...

Wow, both are great choices.

I'm sure it's so hard for you to choose because being a mom means that you're always the teacher AND the nurse (along with everything else!)

Let us know how it goes :)

Anonymous said...

Roz - You are so right. A mother is definitely all those things and more.

I am just so excited to have a chance to touch other people's lives. It's been one of my biggest ambitions ever since High school.

Mrs. Jo said...

You go girl! You can always be whatever you want to be. It sometimes takes us moms a little longer to get where we want to go and to do what we want to do..but you will get there. You have the drive and determination to do it! That video was AWESOME! I have thought many many times as well about becoming a teacher..and boy does that make a difference in how you look at things. Good luck!

Bee said...

I haven't looked at the video since I'm at work but I'm glad you chose teaching. Imagine having the same Holidays as your kids that would be enough to convince me... :o)
I'm planning on going back too but I'm looking into medical coding and transcrption cuz I'm in it for the money!

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Jo - Thank you :-) I'm very excited about this next phase!

Bee - Having the same holidays is a huge plus! You can make good $$ in medical coding and a lot of time eventually do it from home! No more fighting over who threw out the cheese, who is in who's space, and no more worrying about nose typing! ;-)

Brian o vretanos said...

I was going to be a maths teacher, and I did a year of postgraduate teacher training, but in the end I pulled out because I realised I wasn't committed enough (not at 21, though I suspect I'd be better now). I was also not so good on the crowd-control aspects.

I think people who go into vocational professions later (not straight from school/college) put a lot more into it and therefore get a lot more out.

Anonymous said...

Brian - Actually, that makes a lot of sense. I know that I'm much more grounded and sure of myself than I would have been had I gone straight out of hs.

I volunteer at Alex's school as 'art parent.' This means I basically go in there and teach a lesson on a really bad painting (chosen by the school board in the 70's) and then lead the kids through a craft. Every year I have been complimented when the teachers find out I'm not a teacher. That has been a huge boost in my confidence that I can do this. :-D

Pokey Puppy said...

Good for you!! I'm happy for you! Are you starting this coming January then or have you been secretly streatching your brain for months with no ones knowledge??

Tracy Rambles On And On said...

Chris you're really kind of starting to scare me a little with all of this. I did nursing school and worked as a nurse for a while, but like you, life and motherhood became more important. Now I'm enrolled in online classes with the end result to be in Elementary Education. How are we doing this????

Anonymous said...

Tracy - I am wondering if you don't really exist. Maybe I actually have split personalities and you are the other one. LMAO. That would really make a LOT more sense ;-)

MGM said...

I see a theme happening here. I just visited Tracy. Anyhoo, I repeat the sentiments here that I just posted to Tracy. Best wishes on your plans!

Bananas said...

that is so awesome. Congrats on a major life decision! Now if I could just figure out what I want to be when I grow up!! Have you read Smiling Mom (http://smilingmom.com/)? She's a teacher and really awesome... you too should connect!

Anonymous said...

Mgm - LOL. Thank you :-)

AB - Thank you :-) It is nice knowing what I want to be but I still think growing up is over rated ;-) I will check out that link! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh, oh, I posted this video a while back. Amazing! He still gives me goose bumps and makes me want to shout, "Hell ya!" every time I see him.

Teaching is so rewarding. And it's a great mom job. You get out of school when the kids do. Can't beat that!

Thanks for stopping by. I really LOVE your blog header. I'm now your newest fan. :-)

Anonymous said...

Smiling Mom - I know exactly what you mean. I'm not a teacher (yet) and that's exactly what I was screaming (silently in my head. Bean tends to repeat everything I say. Teehee) Thanks for the compliment and for visiting!

A.B.- You were right! Thank for sending me Smiling Moms Link :-D