President Obama wants to speak with our youth.....



Okay, so I'm a bit slow. The speech from the President has, apparently, been everywhere..and I just heard about it today. In my defense, we don't have any television in my house right now, and a chance to read a paper or even listen to the news is somewhat dicey in my constant daily rotation of work, kids, homework and 3 different sport practices.

Today happens to be a priceless & rare day as Prince Charming and I have no work, no games to attend, no practices and no children. So, taking a chance to catch up, check up and check in on the world I log into my kid's school website. And there, in bold letters, is a link titled: District's Position on President Obama's Speech to Students. Already wondering what I've missed, I click the link while simultaneously searching google for "president's speech to students". Once I find out what the speech is all about read some backlash, I have a funny feeling I'm not going to be happy with the school and flip over to the district's letter:
School District ###'s students will not be viewing the message at school. The district feels that parents can determine if you would like to view this message with your children. This way parents and their children can discuss the President's message.


Now, I have to tell you...I am kinda stunned. The President of the United States of America wants to speak to the children of America and encourage them to be responsible, make goals and do their best...and people are flipping out??

Uh, okay!

Like I stated..I can be slow. Admittedly. But people, what exactly do you expect our President to do during this speech? Send subliminal messages to our children asking them to take over their household and vote him King of the World? I can tell you right now that my kids will think it's really cool that the President wants to talk to them. Thinks they are important enough to warrant a speech. Thinks they are worth enough in this world and country that he wants to take time out to speak to them.

Telling our children to be responsible and take responsibility for their education is a good thing people! Last time I checked, learning to set and achieve goals was also a positive thing! These traits go beyond educational success and translate into the real world by making self sufficient and productive adults.

And on one (okay..a few) last note(s), ask your kids how many movies they watched during the last school year. I know my kids watched approximately 4 movies during the 2008-2009 school year. Apparently Chicken Little has more educational value than a speech by the President according to my school district. If I can swing the time off work, I will be taking my kids out of school for the President's speech..because I think it's important for my kids to hear this, they will think it's even cooler to hear it live..even if via the television, I think that it's important to take a stand when the world becomes so ridiculous, and as PC just pointed out, I think if you're so anxious for funding then you should probably listen to the guy who takes part in signing the paychecks.

What do you think?


1 comment:

Jennifer Murray said...

Yeah..I didn't understand what the uproar was all about. I thought it was a GREAT thing!!!