How do I love thee? Let me count the cookies..



"I smell Cookies!"


It's not really a very special statement to most people. But I heard the smile in his voice. It made me feel wonderful. I had put that smile there and helped his day get better the moment he walked in the door.

It all started out as a joke between me and PC about a month after school started. We were watching Commander in Chief and Gina Davis mentioned to her mom that she remembered there were always fresh baked cookies ready after school. Very 50's and June Cleaver, I know. I joked with PC that starting the next day I was going to bake cookies everyday for Alex when he returned home from school. I assured him that if I did this, that our hopes of Alex becoming President were set in stone. After all, it worked for Gina Davis!

I really did bake cookies every week day for about 3 months. Life intervened many times and I just wasn't able to bake them daily, PC was right. But I still baked cookies, brownies or the like 3 or 4 times a week. I figure he still has a shot at the presidency.

The past two weeks I have been having a rough time with my depression. I haven't felt like a very good mom lately. Not for any reason in particular. I just feel overly tired and crabby and short tempered. I haven't baked during this time, either. I didn't realize how much he missed it or just how important it was to him. My little baked goods had become a way to tell him I loved him. That he was super special. And that him being happy mattered to me.

Today I realized how important this was to him. I realized that when I am at my worst the most important thing is letting him know that he is still my world and my baby boy.

Those three words, 'I smell cookies', brightened my day just as much as the smell brightened his. I am so glad that this became not just a tradition, but another way to say 'I love you.'

How do you say 'I love you' without using words?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet! I'm so glad that both you and Alex were able to have a happy afternoon!

Unknown said...

I remember that when i was a kid. My mom would always have something for us to eat ready and hot when we came home. I try to do that with Baby Girl but with two more littleones it often gets hard to do. But she loves the fact that i do take some time out of my busy lift to sit down with just her face to face and talk about her day.

Unknown said...

I use food too--I'll let my 2yo eat a special treat, or I make a yummy dessert for DH (Heck, just making him lunch & dinner says 'I love you' to him, but the dessert really sends it home), and nursing this baby non-stop--if that doesn't say 'I love you' I don't know what does! :-)

Lisa said...

OH that is so very sweet. You are right... You making cookies might not seem like a big deal to you. But to him, its love. And its something he's going to remember even with his OWN kids someday.

Anonymous said...

Jen - Thank ya :-)

Tiff - That is awesome that you make time to talk with her! That is so important to girls.

Jessica - ROFL. Yes, nothing says I love you like the NON STOP nursing.

Lisa - I've been told that by spoiling Alex this way I was setting a hard time for his future wife. But ya know...gots to make sure that little man comes and visits his momma now and then :-)