The Cereal Box..

Every morning is pretty routine around here. I drag myself out of bed....pour a cup of coffee...take a sip....then drag myself up the stairs to wake up Alex for school. While he gets dressed, I head back downstairs and switch laundry loads then make him breakfast. Breakfast varies depending on my level of zombiness. He loves cereal, which really helps on the zombie mornings, so 3 out of 5 days that is usually what he asks for. I am not a big fan of the scooby doo, captain crunch, cinnamon toast crunch crowd. The sugar content is soo out of the world, plus the kids always fight over whatever prize there is. My kids can actually tell you that the reason cartoons and special toys are on cereals is to make kids want to buy them and they usually aren't the healthiest choice. Usually we have Life, cheerios, raisin bran or so on. So..back to the routine. Once dressed he comes down and sits at the table eating his breakfast. Usually we chat while I get a headstart on the girls breakfasts. Well, three weeks ago the grocery store had a sale. Cinnamon bun cereal, halloween lucky charms, peanut butter captain crunch, and spooky scooby doo cereal...all for .50!!! Okay...so...saving money won over healthy eating. My kids were soooo excited...they jumped and yelled and I even got 'Wow...you are the best mom EVER!'. The fun thing about these cereals..were the games and jokes and activities all over the back. My kids LOVED these and we've had a lot of fun in the mornings playing the games...deciphering the puzzles. It has really stepped our morning activity up a notch. This morning as we were trying to unscramble a word I realized how much more we have been enjoying our morning. All because of a simple, silly thing like a cereal box! I still won't buy those brands on a regular basis. But I will look now for our cereals that maybe have something like that on the back. I mean really...so simple...such a thing most people over look...has brought such fun times! Who'd a thunk it.

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

My youngest is a cereal hound. She would eat it 3 meals a day if I let her.

Beautful picture on your blog. I love it!

Anonymous said...

MommaK,
Thanks :-D I am obsessed with taking pics of weather, sky, etc :-D

Anonymous said...

Great Idea Karen! I hadn't thought of that! Thanks for the tip :-D The kids and I did decide that once a month they can pick out ANY cereal they want. Plus I cut the backs out of the cereal boxes we just finished to reuse at the table!

Diane said...

See, I'm thinking hiding toys in cereal boxes would work too. I mean, "Here kids, look! We got clean socks as a prize this morning!!"

Seem like that would work. And remember, if that does take off, you could always hide little rubber treats. My favorite has always been plastic ants!! You might want to try other food groups as well.

The classic being little rubber ants buried deep inside cottage cheese. Of course, not much cottage cheese was trusted after that, BUT if you tried that with your chocolate stash......... they might be not eat those - and they'd be there when you went for a late night snack.

Remember, hiding giant black licorise gummy rats can really become a family memory too!!!

Anonymous said...

ROFLMAO. I always forget about the gummy rat untill I see one. Now the ants...I would NEVER do that to my children. I'm 28 and I STILL get a little weird eating cottage cheese!

Lloyd said...

Referenced at:
http://breakfastbowl.blogspot.com/2007/01/cereal-and-bloggers.html