Movies You Should See
Part Two



I am having so much fun doing this movie series! There are some seriously kick butt things coming out in theaters in the next year. I am very happy to see the recent trend of bringing books to life and very happy that most movies are doing these books justice (with the exception of Eragon. We.will.not.even.mention.that.horrid.movie.)

So, without further ado, Here's today's movie list:

Golden Compass
Release Date:December 7, 2007

Based on the 'His Dark Materials' book trilogy by Phillip Pullman, this looks like a fun and interesting movie and the scenery looks amazing.






----------------------------


Stardust
Release Date: August 10, 2007

Based on the book Stardust by Neil Gaiman. In a countryside town bordering on a magical land, a young man makes a promise to his beloved that he'll retrieve a fallen star by venturing into the magical realm




----------------------------

Beowulf
Release Date: November 16, 2007

This movie is based on an Old English heroic epic poem from the late middle ages. Yep, you read me right!

Although no trailer yet seems to exist for this move, the cast includes such legends as Angelina Jolie, Anthony Hopkins and John Malkovich. The screenplay was co-written by Neil Gaiman, the author of Stardust (mentioned above).

The warrior Beowulf must fight and defeat the monster Grendel who is terrorizing towns, and later, Grendel's mother, who begins killing out of revenge.

This sounds like a potentially amazing movie, but I admit lack of trailer and screen shots does cause me some worry. Of course, the author (whoever that may be), is probably just pleased that it's hitting theaters at all!


----------------------------

Hairspray
Release Date: July 20, 2007

I know, this doesn't fit my book themed movie day, but this movie has childhood memories for me, and it's my blog, so I'm adding it! My childhood friend and I watched the original Hairspray whenever I spent the night at her house, and we would then spend the rest of the evening singing the songs. Ahhh. I can almost smell *cough*gag*hack*cough* the aquanet. The new update does look fun and spunky. Oh. And it has John Travolta dressed as a girl. That's right folks, a whole movie with John Travolta in drag. Who'd wanna miss that???

7 comments:

Tracy Rambles On And On said...

I am so excited about Hairspray. It's looks really cute. I remember the days when my friends and I would all be squished in my mom's bathroom getting ready for an evening wondering around the mall and using up all of my mom's Aquanet. Good Times!

Anonymous said...

Tracy - lol. Aquanet ruled. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm loving this list!! I actually downloaded the audiobook to go along with the Golden Compass movie. Good book so far. This has been a great list. I'm hoping you'll have one on top five movies not to miss, and maybe one on "if you missed this at the show, Make sure to rent it" group. Too much fun!

Tracy Rambles On And On said...

I totally agree with Diane. I am so out of the loop when it comes to movies. Unless they show the trailer on Noggin I haven't seen it so if you could do one of those lists that would be totally great!

Unknown said...

Great tips, especially since Hairspray is the only one I have heard of, confirmation that I really AM out of it as well. :-)

Anonymous said...

Ahhh I can't believe Harry Potter will open on midnight Tues. and then next week I get my book-happy and sad at the same time because I'm a huge HP fan. I also can't wait to see the The Golden Compass.

Anonymous said...

Diane - Well, I will have to see if I can do that within the next few weeks! Thanks for the suggestion!

Tracy and Amber - Yes, I just happened to get very lucky in finding a few sites that tell me the 411! LOL!

Jesse - I am still debating if I will go see it tonight. Really want to!